What is a deadbolt lock? A deadbolt lock is a lock that is operated by turning a key or knob without any use of a spring. Let’s take a deeper look into deadbolts in the article below.
A deadbolt is a lock that can only be opened or closed by a knob or key, and cannot be easily bored or battered.
Deadbolt locks are commonly used to prevent forced entry into homes or businesses due to their strength and durability.
Because they don’t rely on springs to function, they cannot be tampered with or jimmied open using sharp objects. There are a few different types of domestic deadbolt locks as well as commercial.
So, what are some of the main features of these safe and secure locks?
First, let’s have a look at the different types of deadbolt locks. There are 3 main types of deadbolt locks namely single cylinder, double cylinder and keyless cylinder deadbolt locks.
– Single Cylinder Deadbolt Locks. These locks are opened or operated from one end using a key. The other end of the lock, usually the interior end, has a thumb piece used to open and close the lock.
The thumb piece makes exiting a home easy and convenient. Single cylinder deadbolt locks are used on doors that don’t have any breakable glass panes near the lock.
This is to prevent intruders from breaking the glass and opening the lock from the inside.
– Double Cylinder Deadbolt Locks. These locks can be operated using a key from both ends of the lock. These are used on doors that have breakable glass near the lock.
They are more secure than single cylinder deadbolt locks but they can make escape difficult during emergencies such as fire.
– Keyless Cylinder Deadbolt Locks. These locks make use of pins, passwords or biometric scanners to open the locks. These locks can be closed using traditional keys or knobs.
– The main lock screw is made of hardened steel which is typically 1 inch thick. The bolt is strong and sturdy which makes it hard to cut or bend.
– Deadbolt locks have tapered collars that spin freely. The free-spinning collars cannot be easily gripped using a wrench or pliers.
– Deadbolt locks make use of 1/4 inch connecting screws made of solid steel. These connecting screws are concealed or not exposed which means they cannot be seen or touched.
– Also, the connecting screws are attached to a solid metal shock as opposed to screw posts.
It’s worth noting that the different types of deadbolt locks have reliable locking mechanisms that protect against forced entry by malicious and unauthorised persons.
Most standard locks can be easily jimmied open using a crowbar or tampered with using a knife or a sharp object.
However, this is not the case with deadbolts. Due to the lack of springs in their locking mechanisms, deadbolt locks are almost impossible to break into using the above methods.
Double cylinder and keyless deadbolt locks are considered tamper-proof and burglar-proof.
Also, because of how difficult it is to break these locks, burglars and other malicious individuals are more likely to be caught or spotted while trying to pick these locks.
Most burglars also avoid breaking into homes that have these locks.
The main features of deadbolt locks are their strength, ability to open or close using a key or thumb turn, and concealed connecting screws that make tampering difficult.
Deadbolt locks can be used for both residential and commercial projects. These units are very reliable.
They are the easiest way to keep intruders and unauthorised people out of homes and special rooms in businesses and institutions. They are also quite affordable. Get a deadbolt lock today and enjoy the enhanced security.
If you are looking for the best locksmiths in Melbourne for your deadbolts, Casey Locksmiths is the preferred choice for all your locking needs.
We offer a complete range of domestic, commercial, automotive, and emergency locksmith services to all clients in Melbourne and surrounding suburbs.
If you need a reliable locksmith for any type of locksmith service, please call us today on 0416 161 332 or contact us through our website.